Celebration on park to mark arrival of Olympic torch
Posted: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:22
Details of the celebration event that will mark the arrival of the Olympic torch to Leicester on July 2nd have been announced by Leicester city council.
Abbey Park will be the setting for the free event, which will run from 4pm till 8pm.
Highlight of the evening will be the lighting of the Celebration Cauldron by the torchbearer who will carry the Olympic flame into the park at 6.50pm.
The stage show will feature a variety of acts ranging from an international circus troupe and high-energy dance show, to up-and-coming Indie band Morning Parade, who are being brought to Leicester by one of the Olympic sponsors. All of the action will be broadcast on two giant screens, which will be erected on the park.
Other activities include a parade of Leicester swimming teams to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of Leicester-born Jenny Fletcher winning Olympic gold in 1912.
The park will open at 4pm when visitors will be able will be able to take part in a range of activities set in five themed zones. Based around the themes of sport, health, play, culture, and with a showcase of projects from the Inspire LeicesterShire team, the zones will feature displays, demonstrations and activities visitors can get involved in.
Deputy City Mayor Cllr Rory Palmer said: "The Olympic torch will arrive in London on Friday and begin its journey around the UK. The Abbey Park event will be a fantastic opportunity to welcome it to the city in July.
"Leicester is one of only a handful of cities to be asked to host an evening event, and it's great that we have the chance to be part of this once in a lifetime celebration."
Tickets will be required for entry to the park. They will be free and limited to eight per household.
People are being invited to complete a registration form for a ticket – either online or in named city venues – between Monday 21st May, to Sunday 3rd June.
Successful applicants will be contacted by email or phone. Their tickets will be available for collection on Friday 8th June.
Tickets not allocated through the registration process will go on general release from Monday 11th June, from the same venues.
To register online (from Monday 21st May) go to www.leicester.gov.uk/olympictorchevent
Or apply in person at:
* Tourist Information Centre, Every Street, Town Hall Square
* Leicester City Council B Block Customer Services, King Street, Leicester
* Aylestone Leisure Centre, 2 Knighton Lane East Leicester LE2 6LU
* Braunstone Leisure Centre, 2 Hamelin Road, Braunstone, LE3 1JN
* Cossington Leisure Centre, Cossington Street, Leicester, LE4 6JD
* Evington Leisure Centre(Downing Drive, Leicester, LE5 6LP
* Highfields Library, 98 Melbourne road, Leicester, LE2 ODS
* Leicester Leys Leisure Centre, Beaumont Way, Beaumont Leys, LE4 1DS
* New Parks Leisure Centre, St Oswalds Road, Leicester, LE3 6RJ
* Central Library, Bishop Street, Leicester, LE1 6AA
* Hamilton Library, Maidenwell Avenue, Leicester, LE5 1BL
* Knighton Library, Clarendon Park Road, Leicester, LE2 3AJ
* Rushymead Library, Lockerbie Walk, Leicester, LE4 7ZX
* Southfield Library, Saffron Lane, Pork Pie Island, LE2 6QS
* Westcotes Library, Narborough Road, Leicester, LE3 0BQ
More information and terms and conditions are available on the council's website and at each of the venues.